I am sure someone else will be able to word this better but until they do...

Sunday, October 22, 2006

My first time in an American parade

Yesterday morning was the BYU Homecoming Parade. As part of the law school student council of sorts, I helped create the law school float Friday and showed up Saturday morning to participate in the parade. The float was amazing in that it had the engine of a '73 Ford truck and there was a hole in the top of the float that you sat in and drove it.

Guess who got to drive it?

All was well - my driving this float, surrounded by exhaust fumes, unable to really see anything, darting children (and they kept on running towards the float - in fact, one kid was so close that someone yelled STOP and so I slammed on the break - luckily I was only going 3 mph so it wasn't too dramatic).

But then for some reason the parade ends at the Smith Field house and all of your cars/other stuff are back at the Marriott Center. So suddenly everyone around is jumping on the float for a lift back to the Marriott Center. Soon there are at least 30 people sitting on this float, I can see NOTHING, and I am informed that I am going to have to merge onto incoming traffic because the BYU police aren't roping of the upcoming streets. It was a nightmare. So, amongst the dozen children screaming "go straight - go straight", I tune into the voice of one girl who had been guiding me the whole time. After a very long time, being passed by many cars, thinking we weren't going to make it up a small incline, and getting trapped behind horses, we arrived. My body has never been so tense in my life. It was nuts.

No comments: