Russell sent this along to me. Interesting read. It has always hard to determine cause and effect. Microwave ovens for instance became more prevelant in the 80s, so one could make an arguement that parents exposed to microwaves might be the cause also.
I don't think we will be taking John away from the TV, microwave or computer until we find out something for sure.
TV might cause autism. By Gregg Easterbrook - Slate Magazine: "Last month, I speculated in Slate that the mounting incidence of childhood autism may be related to increased television viewing among the very young. The autism rise began around 1980, about the same time cable television and VCRs became common, allowing children to watch television aimed at them any time. Since the brain is organizing during the first years of life and since human beings evolved responding to three-dimensional stimuli, I wondered if exposing toddlers to lots of colorful two-dimensional stimulation could be harmful to brain development. This was sheer speculation, since I knew of no researchers pursuing the question."
I am sure someone else will be able to word this better but until they do...
Monday, October 16, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I consider this article to be coincidence rather than causation. Here's something I thought was interesting related to the topic:
From the Night of Too Many Stars, a special TV ad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdEKJATpJcM&NR
Post a Comment